Sunday, August 2, 2009

Surprise!

It's been an unseasonably cool summer in Iowa. In fact, July may have set a record for the coolest on record. That's fine with me...I love the coolness. Open the windows, turn off the AC, pull up a blanket!! I'm all about almost any weather that isn't hot and humid. However, there is a downside to this cool summer. My tomatoes are just not ripening; they NEED hot, humid weather. As I finished up my walk with Lucie this morning, I thought I'd check my plants to see if anything at all was happening. As I suspected, all I found were medium sized and small hard, green tomatoes. Oh wait...there's one that's starting to turn yellow...and there almost hidden under some bottom branches...these two beauties! Surprise! So tonight it will be some Iowa sweet corn and my first bite of luscious, homegrown vine-ripened Iowa tomatoes. Life is good!

1 comment:

Jientje said...

Nothing better than fresh lush tomatoes straight from the plants!

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin