Sunday, August 23, 2009

Could I Be in Provence?



I squint my eyes and view the landscape. Could I be in Provence? Look at that sea of yellow out there. Is it spring-blooming rapeseed? Summer-blooming sun flowers? The photo above was taken yesterday as I walked Lucie. The smaller one to the right was taken along a Provencal country road in April 2007. Can you spot the clue in the Iowa photo that tells you straight-away that you are in the Midwest and not in Provence??
There, a bit left of center, is a tall, slender stalk of grass silhouetted against the clear, blue sky.In this close-up you can see that it is a lovely example of the American native prairie grass called Big Bluestem. It's also known as 'Turkey Foot,' for the distinctive pattern of the upper seed heads that resemble a wild turkey track. My walk yesterday was not through the French countryside...but soon it will be! 8 days and counting down to my month in the Lot.

1 comment:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

That's crazy that there's any resemblance!

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin