Sunday, August 30, 2009

Happy Anniversary, Life Flight

I attended my final work-related duty yesterday afternoon. I am now officially ON VACATION! Yippee!! The Life Flight crew and I hosted a celebratory open house in honor of Life Flight's 30th anniversary this year. We did a 2-hour 'come have hors d'ourves and visit with old friends' gathering at the Science Center. There were about 50 people who wandered in and out. It was fun to see former crew members, dispatchers and EMS personnel who have made Life Flight so special through the years. It was difficult to get a good photo of the commemorative sculpture that Air Methods presented us with. It's clear, and I had to lay it on a solid color background so you could read it. Our theme for the day was '30 Years of Success Through Teamwork' to honor not only crew, but also all our EMS and rural hospital partners who begin the care of the patients we transport.


After the open house, I attended the simple and elegant outdoor wedding of the daughter of one of my nurses. I've known the bride, Holly, since her mom and I were flight nurses together back in the mid-80's. She is a very special young woman...bright, personable, enviornmentally-conscious and probably the only person I know with a PhD from Yale! (almost...she just completed her thesis defense) The fact that we share a birthday especially endears her to me! The ceremony was held at the Simon Estes Ampitheatre with the Raccoon River flowing quietly in the background. It was as perfect an Iowa day as you will ever experience...warm, clear, no humidity. In all, a perfectly pleasant day to kick off VACATION!

Tomorrow....France!

No comments:

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin