Monday, June 14, 2010

Love/Hate Relationship


I hate deer! Okay...so I don't hate this little doe and her friend who I see almost every morning as they make their way from the timber on the ridge east of my acreage to Haybranch creek behind my house. I think they come for a dawn drink before they bed down for the day in the trees. I've seen them in my backyard, in my pasture, and this morning walking along the road on the edge of my front lawn. They are so pretty and delicate; I love watching them. The ones I hate are their buddies who terrify me when they dart out of the trees or come up out of the ditch and try to run into my car. If you remember, I actually collided with one last November doing some serious damage to Miz Red Belle. A couple of Sunday mornings ago I was driving into church and a pair popped out of the woods and bolted across 4 lanes of Interstate traffic! I came within inches of hitting one, and it scared me to death! Every trip into Des Moines I see the remains of the other dumb deer who are not so lucky; it's pretty gory what a semi can do when it hits one. I don't know what the answer is to this dilemma...fences, longer hunting seasons, increasing the number that hunters can take? All I know for sure is that as much as I love watching these pretty animals in my yard, I hate seeing them when I drive.

No comments:

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin