Monday, June 21, 2010

City of "Labyrinth"

I recently finished a novel set in southwest France that was my kind of book.

"Labyrinth" by Kate Mosse is a 'timeslip' which the author explains is a story that slips between two different time periods. In this case, it moves between the 13th and 21st centuries. The modern part of the story begins at an archaeological dig deep in the Sabarthes Mountains just south of Montsegur; the medieval story takes place in this city, Carcassone. This photo shows the ancient walled city set high on a hill overlooking its modern off-spring below and to the left (not shown in this photo) I stopped along the Autoroute on my way 'home' from the Mediterranean shore last September when I caught a glimpse of this sight that looked to be straight out of a fairy tale. The informational plaque in the pullout told the story of Carcassone's siege during the Crusade against 'heretics' in the early 1200's. I debated....should I alter my plans and drive into Carcassone for a close-up look at this magnificent walled city or should I continue on to Cadrieu? Cadrieu won out as I had promised Laury I'd be back in time to help her set up for the vernissage. So I tucked Carcassone away for a 'next time' visit. After reading 'Labyrinth' next time can't come soon enough!
I've reviewed 'Labyrinth' over at Red Bell Reads...check it out!

No comments:

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin