Saturday, November 14, 2009

Bad News/Good News/Interesting News


First, the bad news. I hit a deer yesterday morning on my way into work. Yes, in my brand new, not even licensed yet car! I was on the off-ramp from Hwy.5 going about 40mph when a doe jumped onto the road from below the embankment. I couldn't avoid her. I'm now without a passenger side head light and turn light, and the fender panel will have to be replaced; not sure about the hood panel.
Now, the good news...the car is driveable. And I found out how it handles in an emergency. I slammed on the brakes trying to avoid hitting the deer and, it did just fine.
Here's the interesting news. The gal at the little body shop where I took it this morning for an estimate on repair costs told me that mine was the 37th vehicle this week that had come in for repairs from deer/car collisions. All but one had hit a deer; the remaining car hit something else trying to avoid hitting a deer! I can confirm that there are deer 'bits and pieces' at least every mile on both the Interstate and highway that I travel daily to and from work. This is crazy!

1 comment:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

What a bummer ... and a brand new car, no less. So is the deer population more abundant this year or what's the explanation for so many accidents?

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin