Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Hollyhocks

I had so many more photos of my week in Vail, but when I got home and saw my hollyhocks in glorious full bloom, I knew I had to share them with you. I picked up a little baggy of seeds at the Winterset Historical Center the first fall I lived here at Red Bell Farm. The woman behind the desk had collected them from her hollyhocks and was giving them away. I scattered them along the front of my house without even digging holes to plant them in. And they flourished!Although many people think hollyhocks are too old-fashioned to plant, I love them! They are big and bold and powerful flowers. Their deep red color looks beautiful against the cream siding on my house. The plants are so loaded with the heavy flowers that they are bending over the walkway to my front door. To me, hollyhocks shout "Summer!"

6 comments:

Isabelle said...

I have hollyhocks too on my terrace.
Well, I'd rather say I had, because, although they started to grow ok during spring, it seems that they are dying now... Might be from the really cold winter we had this year, I don't know.
They used to be pale pink.

I wanted to check with you if you've received the 2 emails I sent you, Evelyn. Not that I'm expecting an answer or anything, but sometimes, the mails I send end up as spams in people's mail boxes...

Jientje said...

Is that what they are called? I saw them EVERYWHERE in Provence, beautiful, I love them too!

Evelyn said...

Isabelle...no emails from you, not in my spam box either! Wonder what happened? This is the address: redbellfarm@netins.net
Try again...I'm ready to make my Paris plans and want to include you!!

Isabelle said...

I just sent you another mail, Evelyn, hope you'll receive it!

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I adore hollyhocks!

Kristin said...

Les roses trémières... they are a favorite, too. So happy to hear that you have them (doesn't surprise me!)

I planted hollyhock seeds *everywhere* and what came up... was large, gigantic leaves (no flowers, alas...) Perhaps they pop out the second year?

Enjoy yours and may they multiply! The more hollyhocks the merrier!

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin