Saturday, February 27, 2010

Part 5: The Pilgrim Imposter's Cell

My room was tucked up right under the roof and had a dormer window that looked out onto the cemetery, the residence of the Brothers, and the village rooftops. It was clean and spare with a blanket and pillow on the closet shelf. I opened the window wide and took in the late fall air. Most of what I could see from it was clear Aveyron sky and the thick woods and underbrush of the conch-shaped valley that wound up to the village and the Church. The only decorative touch was a beautiful icon on the wall which I couldn't identify. Mary, perhaps? I made up my bed, grabbed my journal and pulled up a simple straight-backed chair to the desk. "The hills are all covered with trees--very beautiful, very rugged. It would be really fun to hike here." After resting a bit, I descended the long stone stairway. I needed to call Laury to let her know I was staying here tonight, and I wanted to explore the village more. I would listen carefully for the bells; I didn't want to miss Vespers!

No comments:

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin