Sunday, February 14, 2010

Murder in the Latin Quarter

I just finished reading "Murder in the Latin Quarter" by Cara Black. I'm a huge mystery fan and love Cara Black's mysteries, all set in Paris. I did a book review of this and two other of her mysteries over at "Red Bell Reads," but want to share the setting of this fast-paced story here. The Latin Quarter in Paris is the area around the Sorbonne where the Universities of Paris were established in  1253. While Black's heroine, private investigator Aimee Leduc lives on the l'Isle St. Louis, she went to school here in the 5th arrondissement and still has her expired student ID from her days at the Sorbonne. The murder mystery swirls around illegal Haitian immigrants, voudou, clean water projects for Haiti and the unscrupulous Baby Doc Devalier. But what intrigued me even more was Black's richly detailed descriptions of one of my favorite parts of Paris. She even sends Aimee into my very favorite museum, the Cluny (Musee du Moyen Age). I couldn't help exclaiming out loud as I followed Aimee's adventures..."I've been there. I know that place. I'vewalked down that street. She's spot on with her descriptions!"
More of the Sorbonne and the entrance to the Cluny Museum.

1 comment:

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Hello Evelyn..Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving your lovely message...I will hang in there...so hard sometimes..I have lots of good friends around me, and my church group, who are very good. Anne

I must look out for these places, when I get back to Paris which I hope will be soon :-)

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin