Friday, February 26, 2010

Part 4: Trapped in the Deception

I reported back to the Hostel at 2:30pm, the appointed check-in time, and was invited into the reception office. I sat down at the desk. The woman across from me asked my name and started to shuffle through some papers. "I'll pull out your paperwork," she said. I told her I didn't think I had any. "But you have a reservation...let me look again." Of course, she didn't find any."When did you make your reservation, Madame? she asked and raised her eyebrows a bit when I replied, "this morning." We completed the registration. The available room had a single bed, sink, and shower, but no toilet; it was down the hall. Was this acceptable? Yes. Did I require sheets and a towel? Yes. Would I be eating dinner and breakfast with them? Yes! After I paid my 26 euros, she indicated I should step into the lobby and a host would bring me my key and show me to my room. I murmured, "Merci, Madame" and she replied "Do you know how lucky you are to secure this room? We're usually booked weeks and months in advance." As the lovely white-haired host and I ascended this stairway, I worried to myself..."what have I gotten myself into?"

No comments:

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin