Friday, September 18, 2009

Warning...Illegal Photographs!

Two of the most fascinating places I've visited so far on this remarkable trip are caves. Photos are prohibited and actually with the minimal light available underground, pictures would not be a good idea anyway. However....I couldn't resist snapping a couple of illegal photos as I descended deep, deep into the earth at the Gouffre de Padirac. This is one huge hole in the ground! My sources say there are 455 steps down into the yawning chasm and my knees can attest to each one. Once at the bottom you board a flat-bottomed boat for an eerie trip on an underground waterway. Beautiful cave formations are illuminated and the water is clear, turquoise blue. Yes, I did the tourist thing and bought a photo of our boat and guide!






It was lush and green and cool in the cavern, a welcome respite from the very warm weather outside. The tour was well worth the effort even though it was all in French and I didn't understand a word. Awesome is the same in any language.









The other cave I've visited is Pech Merle. I obeyed all the signs there and didn't take any photos. This is one from Google that shows one of the many horses, bison, aurouchs, woolly mammoths and human figures that line the cave walls. There are also big red and black circles as well as human hands outlined in red pigment. This is one of the few caves with prehistoric paintings that is still open to the public; many are closed except to researchers to protect the fragile pigments. I feel very privileged to have this glimpse into the lives of my ancient ancestors...lives that will always be a mystery.












2 comments:

Isabelle said...

When I was a kid, I used to have a poster on one of my bedroom walls that said "Cabreret, grotte de Peche Merle", and below the title, the exact same photo as the one you posted...
Reminds me of my childhood bedroom ;)

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

Looks so neat!

BTW, got your postcard yesterday ... life sounds wonderful there!

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin