Wednesday, September 30, 2009

My Trip is Over...


My trip is over...but its memories linger! And I'll continue to share stories here from my month in France. This is a photo that Laury took of Jean-Luc and me as we walked the tow path alongside the Lot River one afternoon. The tow path was carved/blasted out of the cliff before motorized travel made navigating upstream on the Lot feasible. Mules and horses would literally pull boats and barges against the current to places upstream where they would be filled with goods to move downstream to markets. These days the tow path has been taken over by walkers and boaters. While motors make upstream travel do-able, the shallow waters of the Lot prohibit boat travel except through a series of locks.




In this photo that I took, you can see a boat in one of the locks. Its crew will manually turn the big wheels that open the gates...the first to fill the lock with water...then it must be cranked closed. Then the second gate will be cranked open so the boat can motor into the deeper water beyond it. Lots of work for these river enthusiasts!

Laury walking the path. Laury and Jean-Luc from a vantage point above the tow path overlooking the Lot River valley.

My trip home was relatively uneventful. It felt good to sleep in my own bed and I was thrilled to see my Lucie. She, by the way, learned a new trick while I was gone. She attempted to go to school with the Jones kids. She would follow them to the school bus and then hop on herself! The kids had to retrieve her from under the seats. Once they even started down the road before someone noticed she was on the bus...bet the bus driver loved that!

2 comments:

Jientje said...

I had some catching up to do, but I enjoyed reading about your holliday in France. It looks like you had a wonderful time there!! Too bad it's over so soon!
And now I am the one counting the days, I will be leaving for my trip to the States ion a little less than a month! And I don't want it to be over just yet! Scary how time flies eh?

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

Welcome home ... can you believe it's already over? I'm sure Lucie loved having you back even if it means her bus-riding days are over (I love that story).

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin