Thursday, September 10, 2009

Back in Cadrieu

As I suspected, I didn't have internet access the past three days while I was exploring southwest France. I have lots of stories to share with you in blog entries to come, but right now I'm just glad to be back in Cadrieu where life is very peaceful. This is a photo of the main beach in Collioure. I took it early in the moring before each and every chair was filled with sun worshippers watching the sea and other sun worshippers lying in the sand. Collioure gets mixed reviews...it's a busy beach town jam-packed with tourists, and parking is a nightmare! Other the other hand, the coastline is stunningly beautiful, and the art and history here made my heart sing. The weather couldn't have been more perfect. But two days of non-stop people, noise, and sun was very wearing. After an easy 4 hour drive north on the autoroute (French for freeway...and a wonderful way to move from point A to point B quickly and easily), I was thrilled to drive into Cajarc and stop for lunch at Le President. It was almost 1pm, and the village was in lunch mode...everything was closed and quiet for two hours so folks could eat. As I sat and listened to conversations around me in murmured French, English, maybe Dutch, I could feel myself relax. I was sitting in the shade, a soft breeze fluttered the flags at the Office of Tourism across the street. With my last sip of Cahors, the village began to come to life. The green cross marking the pharmacy was suddenly lit and flashing, the lady at the Citroen dealership slid the "Ferme" off the door, and traffic picked up.

The President might not be flashy or filled with tanned, bikini-clad folks, but it's peaceful and that's what I was in need of this afternoon! It's good to be back at the Chatette. Tomorrow and Saturday I'll help Laury in whatever way I can as she finishes up preparations for Saturday night's vernissage. There are several pieces of art waiting to be hung, olives to buy at market in Figeac on Saturday and I've offered to find some big bunches of flowers to brighten up the cave. I'll be sharing stories of the gallery and much more later.

No comments:

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin