Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Luxembourg Gardens

I strolled through the Luxembourg Gardens the morning of the Tiffany glass exhibit. Every time I go to Paris I visit this lovely place; this morning, however, I was suddenly aware at just how feminine this garden feels. The fact that it was built along with the Luxembourg Palace for Marie d'Medici in the early 1600's could be one reason for this. The statuary that rims the central parterre is of some of France's most famous and most lovely women. The Garden is centered by this beautiful statue of Diana, the Huntress.

The detailing in the sculptures is amazing. France's queens and famous women have been well-served by the artisans who crafted them. And I was well-served on my stroll through the Gardens by their beauty and grace.





No comments:

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin