Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Lot


I've become intrigued with a part of France that I've never visited...the Lot in southwest France. Its part of the Midi Pyrennes region and takes its name from the Lot River that flows through it. According to my blogger friend, Laury of Soar-Dream-France, it's one of the poorest departments in France mainly because it doesn't have any industry and relies mostly on agriculture for its income. The Lot River defines this area. Downstream towards Bordeaux, the river is lined with vineyards and wineries that produce the famous Cahors wine. Upstream the river is lined with natural areas and national parks that provide recreational opportunites in the form of hiking and boating. North of the river lie several caves that boast evidence of prehistoric habitation. Most famous of these is the cave at Lascaux. South towards Toulouse the region is filled with medieval history. I plan to explore this fascinating part of France in my upcoming blog entries. There's a reason for this that I'll share with you later.

3 comments:

Jientje said...

I'm looking forward to explore ! It's a part of France I'm not familiar with yet!

Isabelle said...

The Lot is a beautiful area, Evelyn. If I'm guessing well, you might be visiting it soon?

Evelyn said...

I may be visiting there soon...you're right, Isabelle!

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin