Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A Tango in Paris

Yesterday I spent the entire day at a workshop on process improvement. I won't bore you with the details...lots of ways to address process changes using lots of acronyms like LEAN, A3, 5S, etc. It was well presented, though, and peppered with fun videos. One video was a clip from "Scent of a Woman." It showed a blind Al Pacino leading a lovely young woman to the dance floor of a swanky hotel. He gathers her up in his arms, and the band begins to play...a sexy tango! He's a beautiful dancer, but that's not what made me smile. Memories of my 2005 visit to Paris immediately sprang to mind as the tango music swelled. On that trip I signed up for an 'Illumination and Seine Tour' at my hotel front desk. If you've never visited Paris, you should know that as dusk falls all the public buildings and some churches are illuminated. The Eiffel Tower is not only lighted, but on the hour twinkle lights dance up and down her lovely limbs for 5 minutes. It's a sight not to be missed. And since a boat ride on the Seine was on my to-do list, this tour was a great combination. The illuminations were breathtaking, and the warm September evening was perfect for the boat ride on the Seine, even if it is one of the most touristy things you can do in Paris! As we neared the eastern limit of the ride, the voice on the loud speaker drew our attention to the Left Bank. There dancing under the stars were dozens of people. We could hear the faint strains of tango music drifting across the water while they twirled and dipped and clutched each other tightly. As the boat drifted under a bridge, the tour guide advised everyone aboard that any wish made while under this particular bridge was guaranteed to come true. Can you blame me for wishing to return someday to Paris and dance the tango with a romantic Frenchman along the banks of the Seine?

Imagine my surprise when I found this link on Google.

4 comments:

Jientje said...

That clip from scent of a Woman is sooooooooooooooo sexy!! I think tango is sexy. I love to dance, and I would have loved to know how to tango, it must be ..; I don't know if I can find the right word for it, but you know ... ;-) .........
so sexy!

Evelyn said...

I think the tango is such a passionate dance even when the dancers have no expression on their faces. Yes, I would love to know how to do it as well. Lookin' for a French guy to teach me how...know any??

Unknown said...

I really enjoy your site! A large portion of my family resides in Solon, Iowa; it's such a peaceful place! I LOVE that clip in "Scent of a Woman"- and I found a post that talks about one of the lines from that film as well. Thought I'd share!
http://www.petermanseye.com/anthologies/great-speeches/318-the-art-of-persuasion
Cheers!

Evelyn said...

Hi Tina...thanks for the link to Peterman's Eye...very interesting blog. I'll go there again. Thanks, too, for visiting my blog. Iowa is a well-kept secret...a nice peaceful place to live, very pretty with a 'managable'lifestyle. That being said...if I win the Powerball, I'm moving to France! Come back and visit again.

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin