Friday, October 31, 2008

Almost There

Senator Barack Obama spoke today at noon in Des Moines. It was my plan to walk the 4 or 5 blocks from where I work to hear him. No matter what your politics are, I think everyone can agree that this is an historic election. I wanted to be a witness to this history. You know what they say about the best laid plans...well, mine went astray as well. At the exact time I needed to walk out the south door of the hospital, I was deeply involved in a critical and time-sensitive personnel issue. I had to be at my desk to make phone calls and send emails; it couldn't wait. So, I did the next best thing. I sent the email, grabbed my cell phone and headed to the roof. That's one perk of being the boss of the Life Flight program...I'm authorized (and I have a key to the elevator to prove it!) to access our rooftop helipad. This is what I saw. The glass building is the Pappajohn Education Center. There were huge American flags hung at either end of it. Senator Obama spoke from the opposite side of the building and that's where most of the crowd was as well. Estimates put the number in attendance at 25,000. (click on photos to enlarge and see the people) Since the Senator was speaking away from my position on the roof, I couldn't hear his words distinctly. Only when he became animated and spoke loudly could I understand all his words. I could, though, hear the crowd clapping and cheering.

It was a warm bright day...Indian summer and I heard on the news that the Senator spoke in shirt sleeves, rolled up. Even though I couldn't hear him well, I could feel the excitement. It was like the difference between watching a football game on TV and being there in person. In person is SO much better even without great TV shots, instant replay, and color commentary by the announcers. Excitement, hope and change colored the air even from a distance. And as the crowd cheered, I lifted my arms and chanted softly under my breath..."Yes, we can!" with them. Hope no one caught that on the rooftop security camera!


I was almost there today; Senator Obama is almost there as well. Please vote on Tuesday, November 4th. This is an important election.

2 comments:

Isabelle said...

Did you know, Evelyn, that if the Europeans were to vote for the American President, Barak Obama would very easily win?

Evelyn said...

Isabelle...as I read the International Herald and expat blogs online, I see that Senator Obama is very popular in Europe. That gives me hope! Guess we'll see tomorrow...

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin