Monday, October 20, 2008

Manon of the Spring


I promised you a review of the rest of the Jean de Florette story and here it is...I watched Manon of the Spring (or Manon des sources as it's called in France) last evening. The review: there isn't any. I don't want to spoil it for you in case you decide to brave the French with English subtitles and watch it yourself. I will tell you that it is worth every bit of the effort it takes to watch a film in a foreign language. I will direct you as well to Isabelle's comment on my previous entry about this movie. It was a beautiful film about difficult human emotions and relationships. A caveat: my copy is rated PG. I would caution you that there is some tastefully filmed full frontal nudity as well as some graphic content that young children might be disturbed by. I think it's more of a PG13 movie.

3 comments:

Isabelle said...

Bonjour Evelyn! Another blogger (Roy) just wrote an entry about Marcel Pagnol. Here is the link to read it:

http://learnfrenchtogether.blogspot.com/

Evelyn said...

Thanks for the blog recommendation. I checked it out. I like Roy's art!

Laura said...

How well I remember this movie. I watched it in a college French class (in my thirties) amongst a bunch of teenagers. At the end only the instructor and myself were teary-eyed. We looked at each other, shrugged our shoulders, and shook our heads at the ignorance of youth. They didn't seem to get it at all.
Thanks for the fond memory.
Laura

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin