Saturday, October 11, 2008

La Maison aux Volets Bleu


I'm in desperate need of a 'France fix,' but the closest I can come right now is browsing through my photos from previous trips. This one caught my eye. The chambre d'hotes is in Venasque, a very pretty village north of Goult. It's called La Maison aux Volets Bleu, the house of the blue shutters. Isn't it pretty? Marie and I actually sneaked into this courtyard; the lovely painted gate was pulled almost closed. She convinced me that we should enter the house through that open doorway. Ever the chicken, I wasn't sure that was okay, but what the heck...I went with her. This turned out to be the opening into Madame's kitchen! Before we could exit, she entered and started chattering away in French. Yikes! Busted! Marie muttered we were considering whether we should make reservations to stay, asked her for a business card, and we beat a hasty retreat.


A beautiful gate




5 comments:

Isabelle said...

Very nice pictures, Evelyn!
In your last post you wrote about the movie French Kiss. Have you seen these movies that were filmed in Provence:
Jean de Florette,
Manon des sources,
My father's glory (La gloire de mon père),
My mother's castle (Le chateau de ma mère),
The Horseman on the roof.

They are all excellent movies and very moving. I know that they can be found on DVD in the U.S. Or you can buy the books since they were all made after famous books!

Evelyn said...

Thank you, Isabelle, for the recommendations! I've not seen these movies, nor read the books. I absolutely will search them out. French Kiss isn't really so much about either Paris or Provence, but sometimes I watch it in French with Englihs subtitles and try to understand what they're saying! I catch maybe one word per sentence, but it makes me feel like I'm in France! When I find one of the DVD's, I'll try to post on it. Thank you!!

Isabelle said...

Bonjour again, Evelyn!
I just looked on Amazon.com and you can find the DVDs of Jean de Florette, Manon of the springs, My father's glory and My mother's castle sold in a "pack". Here is the link (hopefully you will be able to read it):
http://www.amazon.com/Florette-Manon-Spring-World-Films/dp/B0009P7EI2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1223822681&sr=8-1

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

Love that. I really need to name my house - I wish I had bright blue shutters to stand out.

Jientje said...

As it happens, my husband photographed this gateway while we were visiting Venasque this summer!!!

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin