Sunday, October 5, 2008

Mass on the Grass

Last evening my church held its annual Blessing of the Animals service. Dubbed "Mass on the Grass" this service is held on the weekend closest to the saint's day for St. Francis of Assisi. When I searched Google images for a picture of St. Francis, I found many, but this one 'spoke' to me. It looks like how I imagine the real Francis looked...thin, intense, aflame with the love of God, yet gentle and peaceful enough to hold a delicate bird in his hands. I think the artist truly captured the essence of St. Francis. The Blessing service at church, however, was anything but peaceful! There were at least 30 dogs and a half dozen cats present along with their owners. Every breed and mix was represented. I counted at least four standard poodles...not a breed you see much anymore. One couple came with three show-quality cocker spaniels in tow. There were several yellow labs as well as two gorgeous golden retrievers. Elizabeth, Mary and Milton, the three priests there to do the blessing, were thankful that nothing with scales showed up. Everyone mingled for a bit, then services began out on the lawn east of the church. All participants were VERY well behaved as we worshipped. While the human congregants passed the Peace, the priests blessed each animal present by touching them with the love of God and thanking them for loving their humans. It was a fun way to spend a beautifully warm, slightly breezy fall afternoon.

Lucie was a very good girl; she only barked once when she saw other dogs running with their children. She was exhausted, tho, when it was all over. It was a big day for her sniffing more doggie behinds than she's ever even seen before!

3 comments:

Isabelle said...

That's a wonderful way to celebrate mass, Evelyn! I'm sure that Saint Francis would have loved it.

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

Is that an episcopal tradition? My parents' church used to do that too ... I think it's fun. When I was young, I baptized our dog in the kitchen sink.

Evelyn said...

Hi Randi...I believe this service is an Episcopal tradition. Edith, whose dad was an Episcopal priest, says it was her father's favorite service of the year. Peopel rode their horses to church to be blessed (I think this was when they lived in Evergreen) His fondest wish was to have a camel at one of his 'animal' services! I can see where Edith inherited her sense of fun and whimsy!

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin