Thursday, October 2, 2008

A Fundraising Salon


Last Sunday our church rector and her husband hosted a fundraising salon. The idea was to assist the Cedar Rapids Public Library re-build after the devastating floods in early summer. Most of the library's books were destroyed by water and even those on the second floor which were not under water were severely mold damaged. Since the floods happened in 2008, guests were asked to contribute $20.08 or multiples of this amount to attend. The two-hour event boasted wine and dessert, great jazz by George Cole-Duvall and his Flying Fish jazz band (all high schoolers and very professional!), and the opportunity to purchase art. There was pottery, pen-and-ink drawings by Milton Cole (the rector's husband) and some framed prints by Sr. Corita Kent, who was active in the anti-Vietnam war protests of the 60's and 70's. I purchased one of her prints that is hanging now in my office...a multi-colored spiral with a quote by Francis Bacon. The print pictured here is one of Milton's. I think it looks rather Picasso-esque. I have it and the one below hanging in my bathroom. Black and white goes with the decor.

Both of these drawings were done while Milton was assigned to a missionary project in Guam. While there, he presided over 8 small Episcopal churches. I love the faces in both of these prints. They are very different, yet both convey a sense of Guam to me. The salon was a very enjoyable way to fellowship with others in my church as well as contribute to a good cause. And I got some interesting art in the bargain!

1 comment:

Jientje said...

Wow,they're beautiful, congratulations!

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin