Monday, September 1, 2008

Sacred Doors

All of you photographers who are participating in Jientje's "Doors" challenge know immediately that I did not steal this photo from Mr. Google. It's woefully off-kilter and not a good photo. But these doors on the west facade of Notre Dame in Paris evoke powerful memories, and for me, that's what photos are supposed to do. When I visit Paris, I try to attend either Mass or Vespers here at least once. An interesting 'pilgrimage' for someone who isn't even Catholic! But, I adore the music and the feelings I experience in this magnificent cathedral. Even when surrounded by throngs of tourists, entering these doors takes me to a special place within myself. Yes, I even had a vision on my very first visit! It was during prayer (I know, I should have been praying instead of having visions!) when suddenly I could see in my mind's eye, thousands of faithful feet over the centuries. Feet marching, standing, processing on these same floors. Feet clad in wooden sabots, hard leather boots, delicate satin; feet of the poor, the homeless, the wealthy elite, and the ruthless. All there, just like me, to worship. That connection with history startled me momentarily, but soon gave way to delight.

On Easter Sunday 2007, Marie and I attended Mass here with thousands of others. As we left the Cathedral, its bells began ringing joyfully; all its doors were flung wide open. The miracle of Easter spilled out onto the parvis, an experience I'll never forget.

These doors, then, open onto the sacred and in turn, let the sacred flow back out into the world.

11 comments:

Carver said...

I think you captured the spirit of Notre Dame with your post and photograph. Very beautiful. I went there once but didn't attend mass. I'm sure that was a great experience. I attended services at a number of Church of England cathedrals in England and the music and feel of that is something I'll always remember so to an extent I can relate.

ellen b. said...

That really must have been a wonderful experience. The doors and doorway are magnificent!

Melli said...

It sometimes BLOWS my MIND how much work they put into these buildings! And THAT particular entrance way is just completely amazing... and I LOVE it - always have! But even without all that fabulous stone work around it... those DOORS, all by themselves, are fabulous!

Dr.John said...

I have a soft spot for church doors. Thanks for the picture.

Anonymous said...

Ah! See, these are the photos I love the best. PErhaps not perfect, but with a personal tie that makes want want to look closer.

Christine said...

I love the picture. That must be quite the experience. I bet it is just as impressive on the inside. The place is oozing with history.

Dragonstar said...

These are magnificent doors! What an experience that must have been for you.

Jientje said...

It looks a lot like the Cathedral of our Lady, In Antwerp.
I love what you wrote, and how you wrote it.

The vision, and the bells, and that last sentence ...

Willow said...

I love the photo and your thoughts about attending vespers or mass. When we are in England we always attend vespers at a cathedral. What a joyous experience it always is for us.

Alice (in BC Canada) said...

Beautiful!! Your feelings and your photo. Thanks for sharing both.

Alice at I Was Born2Cree8

Minkydo said...

What a great story to go with your lovely photo.

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin