Saturday, September 6, 2008

Door of Possibility


As I wandered around the periphery of Goult looking for the entrance to the cemetery, I happened on this battered and overgrown door. I can't quite read the sign, but I believe this was a business at one time; something about 'electric?' It's obviously shuttered and unused now, which got my imagination and creative juices flowing. Could I buy it? Would it make a good spot for a small art gallery? a bookstore? how about a combination art gallery, bookstore, coffee shop? Every time I look at this photo those thoughts race through my mind because on my first morning in Goult as I pushed open the shutters of my bedroom window, I whispered to myself..."I will live here someday!" I don't know how that will ever happen, but it will. Maybe, just maybe, this could be the door to that possibility.

4 comments:

Isabelle said...

Bonjour Evelyn,
the sign says "Hairdresser for women", then I think that it's written "head washing" but I'm not 100% sure, the prints are very fine! And then it says "Electric dryer".
VoilĂ  !

Evelyn said...

Thanks, Isabelle! I did enlarge the photo so I knew it was a beauty salon. Guess an electric dryer was something to advertise, huh? Thanks for the translation!

Isabelle said...

It's a pity that we can't read the bottom of the sign because of the rust. It's probably a very old sign, I would say before the 2nd World War.
The mayor of this village should have it restored and sent to a museum as a testimony of life in the old days.

Evelyn said...

Wow! I wouldn't have guessed it was that old. I'll have to check it out again on my next trip to Goult.

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin