Sunday, September 28, 2008

A Fall Tradition

I moved back to Iowa in 2003, and every fall since then, I've wanted to do the Sherman Hill Walking Tour that is held the last two weekends in September. I always put it off and then miss both weekends. This year I made it happen! Sherman Hill is the historic neighborhood close to where I work that I would really like to move into. Alas, I haven't sold my country acreage...that's a whole other blog entry...but I spent yesterday afternoon enjoying the warm fall weather while I visited 9 properties on this year's tour. And in the process, I delighted in two serendipitious surprises.

The tour began here at Hoyt Sherman Place where I bought my ticket and picked up the tour map. Built in the Italinate style in 1877 by Hoyt Sherman who was a Des Moines businessman, the mansion today is home to the Des Moines Women's Club and also boasts a beautifully restored theatre as well as an art gallery. After browsing through the gallery, I noticed that the stage lights were on in the theatre. I entered the dimmed auditorium and discovered my first serendipity...the Des Moines Sweet Adelines who were rehearsing for their evening performance. I settled into a plush seat and listened as they sang through their numbers. Such sweet harmony, such exuberant energy! Then stepping out to direct...my friend, Diana Latch! I know Diana from work, and we talked once about her involvement with the Sweet Adelines. There she was directing, singing, dancing, cajoling her chorus to put more bounce in it, sing out, have fun! What a delight to see my friend in an entirely different setting than the hospital disaster and emergency planning sessions where we usually meet!

The rest of the tour beckoned, though, so leaving the music behind, I started walking the streets. The properties on the map reflected a variety of architectural styles from the late 1800s...Queen Anne, Victorian, Colonial Revival, Victorian Stick...all open to tour. Some were exquisitely restored, some were restored, but decorated in modern styles, one house was new, but built to look Victorian. Each had a fascinating story. There were also selected businesses and historic buildings on the map. My second serendipity came as I walked up 16th Street to the Wallace House Foundation. I could hear soft strains of classical piano music floating on the warm summer air. It was coming from the open windows of a 4-square brownstone next to Wallace House. I spoke to the men marking tickets on the porch. "What a great job you have this afternoon...you get to sit on this cool, shady porch, greet people and listen to that beautiful classical music!" I could see the man sitting at his grand piano through an open window. "Yes," the men replied, "and do you know who that is? That's Ed Fallon who ran for Governor last term." "Imagine that," I quipped. "A politician who can actually do something useful and creative!"

More on the rest of the afternoon later....

1 comment:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

What a fun tour ... I love your serendipitous moments!

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin