Monday, September 1, 2008

Porte de La Treille

This door opens into my B&B in Goult...La Treille. My big fat Larousse French-English dictionary defines treille as a somethig like a climbing vine or trellis. This vine is a grapevine, and although they are hard to see in the picture, there are clumps of luscious green grapes hanging over the door. A few always found their way to my breakfast plate every morning. Look above the door; you can just see the bottom of a shutter-framed window. That's 'my' bedroom, the one I ask for each time I visit Goult. The heavy wooden door opens into a cool, tiled entry hall that welcomes each visitor into Michel and Dani's lovely home. Over aperitif's in the garden one evening, I learned that this house was built by Dani's family in the late 1800's. When her parents died, she and Michel inherited it and decided to open it for a few guests. They are gracious hosts, full of fun and laughter. They don't have a website to show off their beautifully Provencal home, but you can reach them for more information regarding rates and room availability at: latreille.goult@cegetel.net.



Many people look at doors and see barriers that keep out strangers and dangers or barriers that keep in secrets and mysteries. I see doors a bit differently. To me, doors are openings into new adventures, new people, new ways of looking at the world. This welcoming door to La Treille is truly an opening to warm hospitality and Provencal friends.

Be sure to visit: Heaven in Belgium to follow this week's "Doors" challenge.

13 comments:

Gattina said...

You are so right ! I agree with your idea of doors, except maybe for a prison door,lol ! It's a very pretty door you show there.
I am not so sure if you could taste Belgian chocolate in my café, good Belgian beer, that's for sure, lol !

Evelyn said...

Gattina...beer works as well. Cheers!

ellen b. said...

Lovely thoughts on doors you've shared and what a wonderful door and setting this is. I want to be there and go through that door!!

Lana G! said...

OH MY! I would love to walk through those doors and spend some time there! Love it - very inviting and charming.

Jientje said...

Can I quote you on what you said about the barriers?
This is a gorgeous door, you know, me and you and Provence?
I'll pick a grape on myway out too, is that all right?
Thanks Evelyn, I'm so glad you joined!!!

Evelyn said...

Jientje...absolutely, you may quote anything from my blogs. I've got a couple more doors from Goult for later in the week, so check back!

Melli said...

Sounds like a heavenly place to spend an evening... or two... or three! It's beautiful!

Rebecca (Ramblings by Reba) said...

I really like all the greenery around the door.

Dragonstar said...

That's a very attractive door. Lovely colours.

Christine said...

I can't imagine...being able to step out side and pick some grapes.

Alice (in BC Canada) said...

This is a great photo of a very beautiful looking building. I like your 'take' on what doors are.


Alice at I Was Born2Cree8

Carver said...

What an inviting beautiful door and looks like a wonderful place to visit. I like what you said about doors as an entrance to adventure.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful door -- beautiful home. I like your vision of doors. I see them as swinging two ways. They provide both security and a portal to new and wonderful adventures.

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin