Friday, September 26, 2008

Roseman Bridge



This is Roseman Bridge made famous by the movie, The Bridges of Madison County. It's very pretty. The area around it is kept up by the folks who also own the small gift shop just behind where I took this pciture. They keep the little meadow mowed and the wooden stairs up to their shop in good repair. The bridge spans the Middle River, but is open only to foot traffic now. Built in 1883, it was completely renovated in 1992 at a cost of $152,515.00.



As I approached the bridge, I noticed these red painted ledges on either side of it. Those round, shiny things are coins! Seems like folks use the ledges much like wishing wells...tossing coins and making a wish! My assumption is that most of the wishes have to do with love and relationships, ala Robert and Franchesca from the movie. Hmm-m-m...been there, done that, and don't see myself going there again. So, I tossed a couple of coins (yes, they landed right where they were supposed to!), but my wish wasn't about a man. It was about love, though! Can you guess what it was?

Here's a hint: Je t'aime Paris et Provence!










2 comments:

POSTCARDS FROM PUERTO VALLARTA said...

HI EVELYN,

I love your blog - how do I sign up for your blog to be delivered into my e-mail?

Jules (Kristi's Mom from French-word-a-Day)

julesinprovence@gmail.com

Jientje said...

I saw ( part of ) the movie, but I was so tired I kept falling asleep, ewww! Lovely post, and I know what YOU WISHED FOR!!

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin