Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A Friend's Door

Jientjie will love this door photo! It was taken in a tiny village in Provence, one of her favorite places. It's actually the front door of my friend's house in Goult. His name is Patrick Payet and when I took this photo in 2005, he was running both a restaurant, Le Tonneau, and his cooking school here. You can just catch a glimpse of a restaurant table set on the terrace below the steps. Patrick had closed the restaurant by my 2007 visit, but was still having cooking school. Marie and I spent an afternoon with him and two of his students learning how to prepare Provencal goodies. Dinner that night was sumptous!

I learned this winter that Patrick has sold this lovely house and moved the cooking school to Roussillon, at least temporarily. The setting there is beautiful, but for me it doesn't have the charm of this house lying in the shadows of Baron Agoult's castle. I'll miss visiting Patrick here and enjoying aperitifs on the terrace.

Imagine my surprise this summer when I found an advertisement in "Blue Sky Living" for another business housed at Place de l'ancienne Mairie in Goult. Click here to see information about that. There are even more stories about this old house, but you'll have to wait until I finish my book to learn them!

This pretty blue door no longer opens into my friend's house, but it will always open up to my memories of good times here and in Provence.

9 comments:

ellen b. said...

Evelyn this is another fabulous door that invites me in. How wonderful to travel and know people in these great spots!!

Dragonstar said...

A beautiful door, with those lovely steps curving up, and such beautiful memories, too.

Carver said...

What a beautiful door. I've never been to Provence but I've always wanted to go so thank you for showing us one of its doors.

Melli said...

Ugh! But they painted the door WHITE! It was so much prettier in blue! How nice to have a friend with perfect cooking skills!

Dr.John said...

I think this one of the first blue doors but then my memory is bad. I like doors that carry memories.

Jientje said...

I have a photo of that same house, but from another angle, ( as usual, hmm? ;-))
You inspire me. Maybe I should post some doors from Goult tomorrow huh?
We'll see!

By the way: You made me dream ....
If only ....

Carletta said...

How inviting is THIS! Oh, it is very inviting.
I'm so glad I found your post - Mr. Linky hasn't been good to me.
I have caught up on your other door posts - all are wonderful.

I enjoyed the covered bridge post. I loved that movie. Last month I did a post on covered bridges near me. I think they are so romantic.

juliana said...

oh, what a pretty door! so inviting...

Christine said...

That is a beautiful door. I love the shutters and the blue.

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin