Sunday, September 14, 2008

Mamma Mia!


Am I the last person on the planet to know about Mamma Mia!?
I think so...if the number of blog posts I found about the movie when I Googled for an image is any indication. Everyone has an opinion about this fun movie! The stage production was in Des Moines a couple of years ago, and a work colleague got hooked after seeing it at the Civic Center. She'd drag me into her office to listen to the soundtrack, she'd shimmy to the music, she'd sing along...and try to entice me to do the same. I was a bit puzzled. Yes, I'm the age to remember ABBA and their music. I'll even confess I have a vinyl copy of their greatest hits. (Does anyone out there even remember vinyl LP's??) But I couldn't quite understand her enthusiasm. Until a couple of weeks ago when my friend, Edith, and I went to see the movie when she was here on a visit. It's not great drama or an Oscar-contender, that's for sure. But it is FUN! The music is infectious, the cast looks as if they are truly having a good time together, and the scenery is spectacular. Is there anything that Meryl Streep can't pull off? Edith and I sang "Dancing Queen" all the way home!
I bought the soundtrack for the movie. Now it's my turn to drag people into my office while I dance and sing along with the music. "Listen to this...isn't it fun??" I have to admit they all look a bit puzzled when they leave!

3 comments:

Carletta said...

I've seen the commercials but it probably be one of those I pick up at the video store instead of seeing at the theatre.
I loved Abba so the soundtrack sounds like a great idea.
Dancing Queen was one of my favorites so I'm singing along with you!

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I love that movie! You're right - it's hardly the movie of the year but the singing and dancing are so fun!

Beth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin