Sunday, January 10, 2010

Tools of the Trade....Winter


The sky was clear and blue, the snow was deep and pristine...it was NOT warm, but with the addition of multiple layers, it was do-able. I strapped on the snowshoes yesterday and did a little trek around the back yard and pasture at Red Bell Farm and took this photo to prove it! I have no idea if the 'shoes are strapped on properly; it's been so long since I've put them on, I have completely forgotten how to do it. They didn't fall off, tho, so whatever! It felt good to be outside...can you say 'cabin fever?' This winter has been brutal so far. I did drive into church in Des Moines Saturday evening. My gravel road was well-plowed, but I could see places where it had drifted during the last storm, maybe as deep as 2-3 feet!

These are the tools of the trade for surviving a winter in Iowa. Snowshovel, snowshoes, and of course, snow mobile boots. My neighbors laughed at me when I bought these in Colorado since I am not a fan of snowmobiles, but they are the very best boots for trudging around in deep snow. I love them!


1 comment:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I haven't snowshoed for so many years ... I'd love to do it again (although I'm hardly living in the right place for that!).

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin