Friday, May 1, 2009

Technology

I exchanged emails yesterday with a friend who shares some of my frustration with technology. We both feel that while technology can help make connections with people...think blogs, cellphones, skype, Facebook, Twitter....to truly have a connection and a relationship with someone, you have to interact in person. I know that I pick up a lot of information about people by their facial expressions and body language. For me, having a friend is much more than signing into the Facebook account or sending them a Tweet on Twitter every time I do something. Maybe I'm afraid my life is just too dull to be of interest to anyone moment-by-moment? I know this probably makes me an anachronism, a fossil, an old fuddy-duddy, but I can't help it! Yesterday on a conference call with other managers from my profession, someone suggested that we should use Facebook and Twitter to market our air medical programs. I had to mute the phone so I could scream! NO! that's just wrong!! We need to market interpersonal relationships, not fun facts on technology. Another acquaintance has explained it much better than I can and in a much funnier way. Click here to read what Rich Mayfield has to say about technology: The Practicing Progressive.

2 comments:

Isabelle said...

Don't worry, Evelyn, you're not alone on the technology front!
I'm worse than you since I don't have a Facebook profile and I still haven't understood what Twitter was ;)

Evelyn said...

I've been thinking about this technology thing some more. Can you be friends with someone you only know thru the internet or your blog? Do you have to call them a cyber-friend? or is someone only your friend if you've actually seen them in person? Does a picture count? It's all very confusing!

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin