Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Collioure


I'm continuing to gather fun ideas for my upcoming trip to southwest France this September. One thing I know I want to do is make a trip south and visit a village by the sea. This is the one I'm considering. Sitting beside the beautiful blue Mediterranean, Collioure combines both French and Spanish culture. It's been a fishing village since 673 and was an important strategic site for the defense of southern France. It's only a few kilometers from the Spanish border. In my opinion, though, its main claim to fame is that it was home for awhile to Henri Matisse, one of my favorite artists. Many of his most famous paintings were inspired by Collioure. I'm open to recommendations...anyone visited this picturesque village by the sea?

6 comments:

Jientje said...

No, I've never been there before, but it looks like such a beautiful place. France IS beautiful, wherever you go!
I'm packing suitcases in three weeks! Leaving the twelfth of June for l'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue. Can't wait!!

Jientje said...

By the way, have you heard anything new about the house in Goult? Is it sold now?

l said...

Dear Evelyn
We have a cottage in Collioure and have been going there for years with our two children (now teenagers). I can tell you its a superb spot and ideal for a holiday in September as the big crowds of August have gone (children go back to school in the first week of Sept)but the water and ambient temperature is still ideal for swimming and everyting is still open. If you like I can send you our activities sheet that we send out to our visitors so you have an idea of what you can do. Just send me your email and I shall send it to you. Also there is a lot of information on our site about the village. This will help you - BTW I am not trying to get a booking from this - I genuinely love Collioure and enthusing about - www.collioure.com.au
Let me know if I can answer any other specific Collioure or regional questions. yours lynn

Evelyn said...

Dear Info...I would love to have your info about Collioure! I've googled lodging there and may have seen your cottage online? I will only stay 2-3 days when I visit in Sept. Is your place available for such short stays? I had thought about either Les Templiers in town or the Ermitage de Consolation up in the hills as possible lodging. I'll be blogging about them in a future post. Do send me your information:redbellfarm@netins.net. Thanks...E

Evelyn said...

Jietje...I'm so jealous! I wish I could have made my France trip work for June and we could have met at last! I believe the Goult house is sold...darn!

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

It looks delightful!

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin