Thursday, May 28, 2009

Where to Stay...

Help me choose! As I look through lodging possibilities in Collioure, I've narrowed my choices down to two. The first is this lovely old 'hermitage' set in the hills above Collioure, Ermitage de Consolation. The dictionary defines an hermitage as an abbey or monastery. When I google this one, the only information I can find about its history is in French and since my French is so rudimentary, I can't comprehend what it says...darn! This was surely a religious retreat of some kind since it boasts a chapel and religious artifacts. Its setting looks very peaceful, doesn't it?


This is a photo of the other place I'm considering, Les Templiers. It's a hotel and restaurant located right in the village and close to the sea. The draw to stay here is the hotel's collection of art. Apparently in the early days, the proprietor accepted works of art from his patrons in payment for their bar bills. The hotel is hung with paintings and drawings by such famous artists as Dufy, Matisse and Picasso. I suppose I could stay at the more reasonably priced Ermitage and have dinner here at Les Templiers and enjoy the best of both worlds, eh?

6 comments:

Isabelle said...

Bonjour Evelyn,
I think I would choose Les Templiers...
It's more expensive than L'Hermitage, but it's right in the village of Collioure, whereas l'Hermitage is in the middle of the woods up the hill, and about 3 miles from Collioure.
My guess is that you will have more to do and see by staying at Les Templiers.

L'Hermitage is the perfect place for meditation, they say, and it used to be a pilgrimage spot.

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

They both look neat although the one that's a bit closer in looks great ... and will likely be an easier access point for other things, right?

Evelyn said...

I'm leaning towards Les Templiers because of the art and because I can do quiet and contemplative here at home. I've also had an email from someone who has a cottage for rent in town...now that could be an interesting choice as well!

Decadent Housewife said...

The woods are inviting, that would be my choice, but ready access to points of interest may be more practical.

Wonderful both.

Unknown said...

Hello!

We are facing the same question re the Hermitage above Coullioure. Did you stay there or go see it?

Thanks,

Pete

Unknown said...

Just now caught up with your other blog and saw that your trip hasn't taken place yet... We are going to be driving through that same area on 9 Sept 2009 and have contacted the Hermitage about staying there. As devout Catholics (from Austin, TX) , the spiritual history of that site appeals to us.

Pete

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin