Thursday, February 19, 2009

Sculpture


I was never a big fan of sculpture until I visited Paris for the first time. There's something about seeing it in person that makes it come alive. It's one of those art forms that you really must see in three dimensions, not on a flat page in a book. The Rodin Museum took my breath away. The Maillol was equally impressive. Everywhere you look in Paris you see sculpture...in parks, at street intersections, in churches. My very favorite place to enjoy sculpture, however, is in the Louvre. "The Winged Victory" is hands down my favorite, but she always gets all the attention. So I chose this handsome man from the cour Marly in the Louvre to feature in this blog entry. This covered courtyard is filled with spectacular pieces including the famous Horses of Marly. I love the tension in this piece. You can almost feel the power in this man's muscles as he strains to free himself from his bonds. On my last visit to the Louvre, there was a special exhibit of modern sculpture displayed with the ancient pieces in this space. I'll show you a picture of that in my next entry of more of my favorite things about Paris and Provence. This hunky guy represents # 15 on my favorite things list.

1 comment:

Jientje said...

We have a park here in Antwerp with all kinds of sculptures. There is even a Rodin in there. It's a wonderful place for a photo walk!

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin