Monday, February 9, 2009

Holy Water Fonts

We're here in Goult at La Treille, my favorite B & B. Dani and Michel have a lovely 19th century house furnished with a tasteful combination of modern and vintage furniture. There's a huge china hutch in the dining area that displays Dani's beautiful Provencal dishes. She also has a large collection of doll-size santons. But my favorite thing decorating the Marsat house is this collection of holy water fonts. I blogged about a particularly pretty one on Dona Nobis Pacem. I'm intrigued by their delicacy and their symbolic meaning. Three of them hold old rosaries. My French wasn't good enough to ask Michel about them...were they family heirlooms? did the rosaries belong to special people? So, that's an incentive to become more fluent. I'd love to hear their stories when I go back to Goult.

Today I made arrangements with an American woman living in Provence to buy a font from her antique/brocante business. I'm beginning my own collection! She visited my blog, I visited her website, and soon I'll be the proud owner of a 19th century piece of Provence. It should arrive the end of the month, and I'll make sure I do a blog posting on it complete with a picture. For now, know that these pretty antiques are my # 7 favorite things about Paris and Provence.

2 comments:

Frenchee Le Trip said...

How fun to see your post! I may just do a post about the font on my blog, too! Then I will have a lasting souvenir of it as I am finding it a little sad to depart with. Thank you for the links to my blog - I will do the same for you when I do the post.

Bonne journee!

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

Can't wait to see your purchase!

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin