Saturday, November 29, 2008

Spee-der-mon

"Madame! Madame!" Concentrating on the lovely ceramic dishes tastefully arranged on the display table in a small shop in old Apt, I was only vaguely aware of the child's voice. "Madame! Madame!" more insistently now and accompanied by several tugs on the tail of my jacket. I looked down into the sparkling brown eyes of a small Provencal boy who appeared to be about 6 or 7 years old. "Hello!" I said, smiling. Seeing that he now had my full attention, he launched into a torrent of French accompanied by many hand gestures and ending triumphantly with "Spee-der-mon!" "Spee-der-mon?" I puzzled under my breath. "Oh yeah...Spiderman!" I laughed as the petit garcon's Papa scolded him gently. While I couldn't understand much of what he was saying, I got the drift...leave the nice Madame alone. Taking his son's hand, he apologized to me for his son's exuberance, and they wandered off to look at vases. Not before the little guy turned and grinned. With a big thumbs up, he declared once again..."Spee-der-mon!"


Kids are the same all over the world, non?


I took this picture as Marie and I awaited the TGV in the Gare de Lyon that would whisk us to Provence...and my brush with Spiderman.

1 comment:

Jientje said...

You describe that so well Evelyn, I can hear him say it, with that funny French accent!

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin