Sunday, November 9, 2008

Alone...in Paris

“ Bonjour, Madame! Vous etes seul?”

The man’s words alarm me. He’s saying, “Hello, are you alone?”
How does he know? As I stand on the steps of the terrace, the comments of my friends begin to haunt me…

“You’re going to Paris alone? You’re so brave!”
“Aren’t you afraid to be in a foreign country by yourself?”
“You don’t speak French? I’d be nervous about that if I were you.”
Yes, I am nervous! In my anxiety I completely overlook the menu the man is holding, as well as the neatly folded white towel draped over the arm of his crisp white shirt. My mind continues to race as he looks at me expectantly. I wonder if he’s going to mug me. Is he one of the pickpockets I’ve been warned about? Then, quietly and calmly, reason prevails. Relax, Evelyn…he’s the maitre’d. He needs to know if you’re by yourself so he can seat you. I exhale slowly, almost unaware that I’d been holding my breath.

“Oui, Monsieur,” I tell him. “Je suis seul.” Yes sir, I’m alone.

He leads me to a tiny table overlooking the famous I.M. Pei glass pyramid in the courtyard of the Louvre. It’s a warm September afternoon, perfect for dining on the terrace of the trendy Café Marly. Pulling the table toward me, he murmurs, “Voila, Madame.”

I squeeze by the couple seated to the right and slide into the leather banquette.

“Merci, Monsieur.”

I breathe a sigh of relief and try to focus on the menu he’s handed me. All my reading has prepared me for this moment. My Rick Steves’ guidebook has cautioned me about tripe and andouillette, and my Pimsleur language tapes have provided me with enough rudimentary French to request a glass of red or white wine. I order an omelet with herbes de provence, a yummy tomato and chevre gateaux (a cake of soft, creamy goat cheese layered with tomato coulis, topped with a sliced tomato and drizzled with olive oil), and glass of rosé. I sit in the sun, watching swarms of people enter and depart through that spectacular glass structure in the square.

"Oh my God,” I think to myself. “I’m in Paris, one of the most exhilarating cities in the world, sitting in the Richelieu wing of a palace, home of French kings, quarters for Napoleon, and a monument to some of the world’s most famous art."

Yes, I was in Paris….alone

5 comments:

Kristin said...

Bonjour Evelyn,

My mom, Jules, is trying desperately to comment on your delightful story... but she can't seem to get the $@&% thing to work (I think she is complaining about her own computer, here). She's asked me to post for her. Stay tuned... Meantime, enjoy your Paris adventure, for we are, too!

Isabelle said...

That's a wonderful post that you wrote, Evelyn!
I have two things to comment on: why should people warn you about being alone in Paris, does it have such a bad reputation? Did people hear about tourists mysteriously disappearing while on a trip to Paris (lol)?

Since you were in the Louvre, you probably saw the Cour Marly and the sculptures called the Marly horses.
I'm living in Marly le Roi, the town where the Marly horses used to stand. Now we have copies of them, and the original ones are in the Louvre.

Here is the link to Marly's tourit office (in English but I'm not sure it's very well translated!):
http://www.marlyleroi-tourisme.fr/english-version/welcome.htm

Kristin said...

(From Jules...)

Hi Evelyn,

Wow!!! I just about fell over when I read your post yesterday - are you really in Paris or is this the beginning of an exciting novel. I loved every word you typed, I felt like I was right there with you and then my mind started to wander and I wanted to be in your shoes. More - more -more - give us more stories and I loved the information your provided along with the photo's. I guess I am going to have to start a special file for your Paris and France posts, great information. Thank you for all of your inspiring posts.

XOXO

JULES

Evelyn said...

To my blog commenters: I wrote this little story earlier this year. It's based on my solo visit to Paris in Feb. 2007. Yes, Isabelle, my friends thought I was crazy and terribly brave to travel to Paris alone. It was such fun. While it would be lovely to share that fabulous city with someone, doing it solo was just fine. I would go back alone in a heartbeat. I think anyone who hasn't traveled outside the States thinks it would be really hard; I thought it was a huge adventure! I have been to the Louvre several times...I go two or three times each visit to Paris as I can only do a few hours before I get overwhelmed by all the beauty. I adore the Marly horses...in fact, I never really appreciated sculpture until I saw it 'in person.' I've thought about writing a novel set in the south of France based on a tombstone I photographed in a little village. Thank you all for your kind words!!

Evelyn said...

PS...the year of my visit was 2006!

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin