Saturday, November 22, 2008

Le Bistrot d'Henri


Writing about my experience at Le Procope got me thinking about the wonderful places I've eaten in Paris. You know...the food is one of the main reasons to visit France! My budget doesn't allow me to eat at any of the 'starred' establishments (maybe someday?), but I've had many great meals at the less pricey places around town. Marie and I have eaten at Christine's in the 6th arrondissement and its neighbor, Rotisserie en Face; we've eaten at Marie's favorite, L'Epi dupin twice. We've enjoyed a meal entirely of souffles at Le Souffle on the Right Bank, and we tried great Moroccan food at a tiny place we couldn't find on our second trip. We've had our morning croissant and cafe creme every day at Paul's. My very favorite place, however, was Le Bistrot d'Henri (pictured here courtesy of Google).

I've eaten at Le Bistrot twice, and it was wonderful both times. Walking distance from our hotel on Blvd. St. Germain, it's tucked into a tiny side street, rue Princess. It's warm and cosy; the atmosphere is friendly and lively. I love it! and the food is delicious. My travel journal reminds me that it was also 'very charming, very Parisian.' I had pork chops on a bed of noodles with a sauce flavored with a tint of Dijon mustard, haricots verts with a curry-tinged dressing and the ubiquitous molten chocolate cake for dessert. On my second visit, I tried the lamb dish that the bistrot is famous for...lamb shank cooked for hours until it makes a thick gravy with prunes, onions, and carrots flavored with a touch of cinnamon. It's served in its own small Dutch oven (or is that a French oven?). A salad of endive, chopped pear and roquefort cheese chunks and again, the chocolate cake rounded out the meal. Sipping a glass of wonderfully thick red wine, I could, indeed, murmur "J'ai mange tres bien!"

3 comments:

Isabelle said...

I would love to try a meal entirely made of soufflés! I will have to try this place!

Evelyn said...

Isabelle...Le Souffle was very fun! I had souffle of morels and souffle of ham and cheese for my main meal followed with a raspberry souffle for dessert. My friends and I shared a yummy bottle of Pouilly Fuisse that was perfect with the light, airy dishes. Try it!

Jientje said...

That meal you described here makes me crave for chocolate and lamb!
I usually try to find a small restaurant, tucked away in some small street too, they are harder to find, but usually a much better choice compared to what you find on big tourist locations!

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin