Saturday, March 7, 2009

Scarves

Scarves define French fashion. I remember before my very first trip to France, Mickey told me, "Don't pack a scarf. The first thing we'll do in Paris is buy a fabulous one. You'll see...it will make you feel tres French!" And indeed, it did! I've never seen scarves worn in such profusion and with such panache. Every woman, and many of the men, had one draped, tied, tucked, bowed, slung around her neck. Mickey and I haunted every scarf shop we could find and I bought several that trip. They are such an easy souvenir...light and don't take hardly any room in your suitcase. I have to tell you, though, that I bought my very first scarf at my very first market in Provence. It's a beautiful turquoise paisley wool challis that can do double-duty as a shawl. I can tell you where and when I bought each scarf in this photo. The black&white one came from a little boutique in Apt; the brighter pink striped one, I bought off rue de Buci for Easter at the Notre Dame in 2007. Each one evokes a memory. One day at work someone complimented a French scarf that I was wearing. I thanked them and said "Oh yes, I bought this one in Paris in February of 2006." One of my staff commented..."Geez, that's weird. Do you really remember where you buy all your clothes?" No, only the scarves that I buy in my very favorite city in the whole world! Who wouldn't remember that?

3 comments:

Isabelle said...

What a beautiful collection you have Evelyn!
Until reading blogs from Americans, I had never noticed that wearing a scarf was something très French!!

Jientje said...

I would!!

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I love the scarves!

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin