Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Cemeteries

I've blogged about cemeteries in the past. I love them! I know you think that's kind of weird, but, oh well, my secret is out. One thing I like about cemeteries from other cultures is that they frequently have pictures of the deceased on the gravestones. I first came across this many years ago in a very old cemetery in our neighborhood in San Diego.There was a large Portuguese community in San Diego, and this is where they buried their dead. Every child's grave had an old tin photo-etching of the child. It was so touching to see a picture of a family's beloved child on its headstone. This grave is in the Pere Lachaise cemetery in Paris. I'm a huge Edith Piaf fan and sought out her grave on my visit there. I loved that people leave tokens of their esteem on many of the graves. Here a rose and chestnuts. Chestnut offerings were very common along with flowers, rocks, saint's cards, crosses, etc.




This picture is from the cemetery in Goult. It says "To our comrade, Lulu. Regrets. Friends in Goult." My guess is that Lulu didn't have family to mark his grave since there were no family 'regrets' there. He must have been a good friend.

Cemeteries in Paris and Provence are #23 on my list of favorite things.

PS...please click on the link to the Pere Lachaise Cemetery...it's really cool. You can see actual pictures of the graves. For example, click on the "P" scroll down to Piaf. Her grave flashes. If you click on her cross, a photo of her grave comes up. Here are some others to try: Jim Morrison, Sarah Bernhardt, Oscar Wilde, Yves Montand and Simone Signoret, and Chopin.
PSS...the link to Edith Piaf goes to a YouTube video of her performing "Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien" It brings tears to my eyes and sends shivers down my spine. What a voice!

No comments:

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin