Sunday, March 22, 2009

American Gothic

I promised you that I would find creative inspiration yesterday and I did. I made a brief stop at the Des Moines Art Center and left refreshed and with my faith in culture re-affirmed. The Art Center has a surprisingly wonderful collection of mostly modern art with a few classics thrown in for balance. It features Georgia O'Keeffe, Henri Matisse, Edward Hopper with sculpures by Claus Oldenburg and Alexander Calder.

The building itself is famous as it was designed by 3 of the 20th century's most famous architects, Eliel Saarinen, I.M. Pei and Richard Meier. It sits surrounded by a lovely park on the south and by sculptures around the front.


Every time I visit I ask myself why I don't do this more often. I always come away feeling inspired by the art and soothed by the spaces that house it. This weekend, however, I had a specific goal in mind. The Center is currently hosting an exhibition entitled "After Many Springs: Regionalism, Modernism and the Midwest" And on display is a real classic: American Gothic by Grant Wood.


While this is a painting of Iowa by an Iowa artist, it's current home is in The Art Institute of Chicago. It seems that I'm not the only Iowan who felt compelled to visit this famous painting during its exhibit run. I actually had to stand in line for over 20 minutes until it was my turn to look at it! What a change from my normal visits to the Art Center when there have only been a handful of people enjoying the art. Like most art, this painting is much better viewed in person. The detail is amazing...there are lace curtains at the arched window, lovely sprigs of flowers on the woman's dress and potted plants on the porch...all difficult to see in a photo. The other paintings and photographs in the exhibit were equally as interesting with Thomas Hart Benton, Jackson Pollock, and Dorothea Lange among the featured artists. I hope to make another visit before the exhibit moves on at the end of the month.

4 comments:

Jientje said...

You did put your time to good use Evelyn! Very interesting post, this!

Isabelle said...

This seems like a great museum, Evelyn!
I'd love to see American Gothic in real life...
I learned not so long ago that they were supposed to be father and daughter, I had always thought that they were a married couple!

And I always wonder how paintings from famous painters like Matisse end up in a museum in Iowa!

Evelyn said...

Isabelle..when you see the painting up close, you can tell the woman is younger than the man, but they are both very dour, eh? I live in farm country here in Iowa and have a neighbor who is just as sour-looking as this old man! I think being a farmer is a difficult life these days. I'm amazed at some of the art in Des Moines as well. There is a small liberal arts college east of here in Grinnell, IA that has a lovely gallery and a connection somewhere. I saw a wonderful exhibit of Impressionist art there that included a Renoir, a Monet and a cool Modigliani!

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

Sounds wonderful! We're going to hit the Dallas Museum of Art this summer for some inspiration ... I think my older kids will really enjoy it.

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin