Saturday, July 26, 2008

Summer in Iowa

We're in the midst of another hot, humid summer in Iowa. The difference this year, however, is the amount of hard, heavy rain that's fallen. Once again, southern Iowa is flooded with water over roads and rivers and creeks out of their banks. All this rain brings some delights, though, like the lovely wildflowers that grow at Jensen Marsh where I walk Lucie these days. I wish I could send along the sounds of the marsh as well. Chirping crickets, birdsong, and froggy trills and croaks keep Lucie and I company on our walks. I especially enjoy the low muttering croaks of the bullfrogs. That sound is another of my favorite things about Iowa in the summer. We frequently disturb the marsh's great blue heron when we walk. He glides silently away as we advance. Nesting ducks scoot off into the water and the kingfisher finds a dead tree to light in further away from our encroaching footfalls.
It's 9am and time to get going. Lucie is anxious for some outside time, and I'm anxious to get our walk in before the heat of the day intensifies. Who knows what wonders await us on our daily stroll?

No comments:

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin