Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Almost Right

I took yesterday off from work and treated myself to a massage and a late lunch with a friend. Beth and I decided to try a newly-opened restaurant at the West Des Moines Holiday Inn. Nice place, good menu. When I saw the Warm Goat Cheese salad, my heart sang! Described as pecan-encrusted goat cheese served on a bed of mesclun garnished with slivered green apple and carrots, I thought I'd found Provence right here in the Heartland. Alas...while it was a nice salad, they didn't get it quite right. They sprinkled Maytag blue cheese crumbles all over it and that really detracted from the yummy goat cheese. I would have preferred the slivered almonds shown here or olives or anchovy strips or red peppers or....anything a bit more French and a little less Midwest!

4 comments:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

It sounds delicious but I agree - you don't add blue cheese to a goat cheese salad. What were they thinking?

Jientje said...

Shall I make such a salad for you, my friend?
Maybe put some figs in it as well?

Evelyn said...

Jientje....brilliant idea! Figs...hadn't thought of figs! I'd definitely have to come to Belgium for that, tho. Not many fresh figs to be had in Iowa. I read your comment about 'our' fun house in Goult. I'd love to have other pics of it. You take awesome photos

Jientje said...

Okay, I'll get right to it!!!

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin