Sunday, July 6, 2008

Happy Birthday, Daddy!

Today is my Dad's birthday. Born on this day in 1921, he's lived a long, interesting life and remains vigorous, strong and in perfect health! He's probably the only octagenarian I know that doesn't take a single medication. I can only I hope I inherited his healthy genes. Wish I had a better picture to share with you of my favorite guy...this one is from his Navy days during WWII. While he's obviously older now, he's every bit as cute. I love my Dad!

A couple of other famous people that share his birthday: the Dalai Lama and Frida Kahlo. Oh yeah, and George W. Bush.

I wanted to send a very special blessing to my Dad today. I couldn't find one in my "Blessings" book that completely fit, so I picked only parts of one. This is the opening and the ending of For Your Birthday.

"Blessed be the mind that dreamed the day
The blueprint of your life
Would begin to glow on earth,
Illuminating all the faces and voices
That would arrive to invite
Your soul to growth......

On this echoing-day of your birth,
May you open the gift of solitude
In order to receive your soul;
Enter the generosity of silence
To hear your hidden heart;
Know the serenity of stillness
To be enfolded anew
By the miracle of your being."

FromTo Bless the Space Between Us by John O'Donohue

No comments:

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin