Saturday, February 16, 2008

Valentine's Gifts


I was puzzled when I opened my mailbox on Thursday and saw a large package overnighted from my friend, Mickey. Tearing it open, this is what I found...a beautiful black and red box of chocolates! Handmade by a couple (he's French, she's American), the chocolates, the packaging and even the business card are simply beautiful.
The chocolatiers have named their business "Chocolats du CaliBressan," a combination of California and Bresse, France. Here's the dilemma: I gave up sweets for Lent! While this is not something that is normally part of my spiritual practice, I felt I needed the discipline of Lenten sacrifice this year. What to do? I 'visited' a bit with God that evening, and this is what he told me. "Go ahead and have one, Evelyn. It would be unkind to your friend to not enjoy her gift. The rest take to work on Friday and share. Any leftover? Put them in the freezer and don't get them out until Easter morning!" So, that's what I did. The one I tasted was yummy...a milky chocolate with a hint of Irish whiskey that melted...literally...on my tongue. The dark chocolate heart is a pure chocolate truffle, according to one friend; the red lips are dark chocolate infused with tangerine liqueur with an internal coating of white chocolate, according to another. Thanks, Mickey, for sharing a bit chocolate pleasure. Tres scumptious!
My second Valentine's Day gift came from my Dad...a quick phone call to say 'I love you.' Just as yummy and lovely as chocolates any day!

1 comment:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

Mmmm, wish I lived next door and could pop over for a sampling. They sound decadent!

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin