Friday, January 18, 2008

A Writer's House

One click led to another and before I knew it, I discovered a new blog today that I quickly added to 'My Favorites.' Notre Vie Quotidien is written by a divorced woman who moved to Provence with her young daughter to write. This could be me! Oh yeah, I don't have a daughter, but how about a grandson? Susan settled in a village a bit north of the area of Provence that I'm most familiar with (the Luberon) and she's begun to write about her village and her observations of being an American living in a very French environment. I can hardly wait for her next entry!

Reading Susan's blog brought back memories of Goult and the colorful house pictured above. Chatting with a Brit who has a delightful antique/brocante shop in the village, I discovered that she is the keeper of this house which is owned by an elderly Belgian man. Jan handles all the rental arrangements, delivers the key, and makes sure it's cleaned up. One afternoon she met me there to show it to me. I loved it! It has a big kitchen (with a dishwasher and washing machine!), two bedrooms and two bathrooms...one is huge and has an old-fashioned claw foot tub. The second bedroom is down a scary staircase, but it has French doors that open onto the street. At 450 Euros per week, it's affordable.

My dream is to someday return to Goult and rent this pink and blue beauty for at least two weeks. I'll walk to the boulangerie every morning before 7am for my baguette, stop at the Cafe de la Poste for cafe au lait, and then go to market and buy luscious Provencal fruits and veggies. I'll spend the afternoons cooking and writing and walking...and writing some more. Maybe I'll finally finish that novel! A pastis at the Cafe in the late afternoon will lead to a chat with the neighbors and perhaps a dinner invitation?

Someday! In the meantime I'll read about Susan's 'daily life' at http://www.notreviequotidien.blogspot.com/ and dream on....

3 comments:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

That really is you ... I'll look forward to reading the future blog entries from France!

Jientje said...

I have linked my Wordless Wednesday post on the house to this post!

Susan Sparkman said...

Dear Evelyn,
How sweet of you to write about me in your blog! I'm a bit late discovering the post, but I have certainly been enjoying looking through your archives.
I believe you will one day return to that pink and blue home, and it could be for much longer than the two weeks you hope!
Take care and have a good Palm Sunday and Holy Week.
Warm regards,
Susan

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin