Friday, January 11, 2008

My Favorite Fauve!


The Fauvist movement of painters followed the Impressionists around the turn of the 20th century. Probably the most famous Fauves were Gauguin and Matisse. They painted images of the things around them with imagination and bright colors, and without regard to making objects look realistic. Up until yesterday, my favorite Fauve was Matisse. I 've been privileged to see many of his works of art during my three trips to Paris. The Pompidou Center has a great collection of his work. I especially like the cut paper designs he did when age prevented him from painting. He felt driven, even into his old age, to create.
Yesterday, though, I came to have a different favorite Fauve. Chase, as you know, is an artist as well as a beloved grandson. His school belongs to an on-line art gallery called Artsonia which publishes the artwork of school children. It's a great venue for the kids to show off their work (and for doting grandmothers to purchase prints, coffee mugs, key rings, etc. of the grandkids' creations!) Chase's 7th grade art class is studying the Fauvist movement and creating art in that style. The picture you see here is Chase's Fauvist art creation and I LOVE it!! He has become my new favorite Fauve! Move over, Matisse.

2 comments:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

That is really a fantastic painting. Definitely one to frame. I seriously thought you bought it. He's got talent!

Evelyn said...

I have a print of almost all his art that they've posted. They're framed and hang in my hall. I call it the "Wall of Fame" He loves to draw and thinks he might like to be an architect. However, that's today...who knows what he'll want to be tomorrow! If you're interested in peeking at the website, it's www.artsonia.com.

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin