Monday, July 19, 2010

Yummy!

I love to read cookbooks almost as much as I love to cook. So, when I heard this cookbook reviewed on NPR, I knew I had to have it. Judith Jones is a senior editor at Knopf and has written several books on her own, but my interest in her stems from the fact that she was Julia Child's cookbook editor. Anyone who can edit Julia Child has to be able to cook...and to tell a good story. And since I'm a single person, I thought this book about cooking for one would be useful as well. It's become one of my favorite sources for recipes. My dinner yesterday was this gratin of beef, mushrooms and breadcrumbs. Yummy! and just right for one person. (I actually made two, so I can have dinner ready another night this week.) I've tried recipes for all the meat dishes except those using veal; I draw the line at eating baby anything. There are also recipes for veggies, salads, and desserts...all portioned for a single diner with recipes for using left-overs if there happen to be any.  I won't tell you the ingredients for the gratin in the photograph as I use a recipe simply for suggestions...I always substitute according to my taste and to what's in the 'fridge. All I can say is it was yummy good!

1 comment:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

That looks so good and I love that you only use recipes for suggestions. I'm such a by-the-book type person that I have to follow it exactly.

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin