Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Long Distance Therapy

You may remember this photo from a blog post I made back in June of 2008. Well...it flooded again, but not quite this badly. My creek overflowed its banks this morning. Only I wasn't here to take its picture. Here's the story: I awoke at 5am to thunder and rain...lots and lots of rain. At 6:30am it was still raining heavily, water was standing in most of my front yard and I could see the creek roaring just standing on my back porch. I tried to ignore it, but I couldn't keep from pacing back and forth to the window, peering out watching the water rise. I kept having flashbacks to June 2008 when I found myself completely surrounded by running creek water. Enough! I showered, pulled on clothes, put Lucie in the car, and we left. Water was standing in my drive and in places on the road, but the creek was still in its banks as I rounded the corner and started the climb up to the top of the ridge. I spent the next 3 hours in Des Moines shopping, getting gas, and having a frappachino at Starbucks...waiting for the rain to stop. When I arrived home, I could see the creek had been up in my yard, but was now on its way back down. I emailed Laury about it, and I had barely pushed the 'Send' button when my phone rang. "Are you all right??" my friend drawled, "I'm worried about you!" We talked and laughed, I felt so silly, but it's an awful feeling to be at the mercy of the elements, powerless and trapped. She did her very best social worker therapy via phone...soothing and calming, validating that fears don't have to be rational to feel real. We laughed again...it's pretty amazing that I seek support from my friend who lives 5000 miles away! But it worked...well enough that I think I should pay her hourly therapy wage for our conversation!

BTW....I emptied 3 inches of rain out of my rain gauge!

No comments:

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin