Friday, May 2, 2008

A Trip Back in Time


The 12-mile carriage trip from my home in Paris left me dusty, tired and irritable. As the horses clattered over the cobblestones into the entrance of the Chateau de Versailles, I muttered to myself that I didn't care if the King did request our presence at his grand soiree..."I need a bath, a glass of wine and a nap!"
A few hours later, I was refreshed. Madame, the Queen, sent her own ladies-in-waiting to draw my bath, and her servants brought me delicacies from the royal kitchen. I dressed and readied myself for the evening's entertainment. I couldn't help but feel the excitement that only comes when I visit the court of Louis.
Walking into the Grand Salon through the wonderful Galeries des le Glaces, I caught my reflection in one of the myriad of mirrors. "I look so beautiful," I thought. Hundreds of candles flickered and reflected in the mirrors; it felt magical. The other guests joined the promenade into the Salon. I saw many old friends as well as a few young men that were new to our group. Noblemen, to be sure. Handsome, eligible...or even if not eligible, well....that was their wives' problem, not mine!
As I entered the Grand Salon, I saw my friend, Marie, and joined the circle of young people chatting about the King's losses at the gaming table. We laughed and drank excellent wine while the servants gathered chairs around the harpsichord. A bell chimed, signalling the start of the evening's entertainment. Rustling silks and fluttering fans took the place of lively conversation. I smoothed my elegant rose silk skirt and quickly glanced down. My decolletage was perfect...blush pink, firm and swelling. My breasts glowed with a film of dewy moisture. I looked up, snapped open my fan, and made eye contact with the most beautiful blue male eyes....
A young woman entered from a side door and took her place at the harpischord. The crowd quieted and she began to play...
(click on the bar at the top of the page and download the file to play the music)
...come back tomorrow to learn who this musician is and why I've written about her.

No comments:

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin