Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day

We were waiting for a management team meeting to start that summer afternoon in 2005. I was excited about my upcoming trip to France, my first, and chatting with a friend about my plans. Across the table a woman I didn't know interrupted our conversation. "Why in the world would you want to go to France?" she questioned, her voice dripping with disdain. "Those people don't even like us!" I was shocked by her rudeness and muttered something about not thinking that was true. And sure enough, she was wrong. Never during any of my three trips to France have I felt that I was disliked because I was an American.

Today I heard a piece on NPR that reinforces my opinion...that woman was so wrong. It was a Memorial Day story about a society of French families who adopt the graves of U.S. servicemen at the Colleville-sur-Mer cemetery above Omaha Beach. They place flowers on the graves of fallen soldiers who no longer have family that can come to France and honor their kinsmen. They do this out of honor and gratitude for the role America played in the liberation of France during WWII.

I can never think of an appropriately scathing retort when confronted by rudeness or bias. I'm definitely not known for my brilliant repartee. But even after three years, I'd like to find that woman today and invite her to listen to this moving report about Les Fleurs de la Memoire. I don't think she would say ever again..."those people don't even like us."

3 comments:

Isabelle said...

Thank you so much, Evelyn, for this post as well as the very moving links (specially the NPR one).
As a French woman married to an American man and living in France I can confirm your feeling that the French don't dislike the Americans. Our two countries might have different political point of views, but it doesn't mean that we (the French) will change our feelings towards the American people who have done so much for our country.

Evelyn said...

Dear Isabelle...thank you so much for commenting on my post. This story brought tears to my eyes when I heard it. I'm hopeful that soon our countries might see more that we agree on instead of focusing so much on what we don't agree on. I've found that no matter where I travel, people want the same things...a chance to be happy, to love their children, and have enough to sustain their lives. Where in France do you live? I've traveled to Paris and the Luberon, but am always looking for new areas to discover.

Isabelle said...

To answer your question, Evelyn, I live at about 10 minutes from Versailles and 30 minutes from Paris.
There are so many beautiful and different places to visit in France...
I don't know the Luberon very well, I've visited Arles, Nimes and Avignon when I was younger, but now I know that it is a very fancy (and expensive) place to stay, although very beautiful!

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin